Once part of the Town of Jasper Place, Glenwood and several other neighbourhoods were annexed by Edmonton in 1964. The Glenwood neighbourhood incorporated the former neighbourhood of Westlawn, which was established around 1912. With an approximate gross area of 177 hectares, Glenwood is larger than the average neighbourhood. The portion of land east of 163rd Street was developed during the 1950s, and the area to the west was developed throughout the 1960s.
Housing unit types are diverse in this neighbourhood. A large proportion of Glenwood’s properties are residential, with some commercial and institutional land uses. Approximately 50 percent of residential housing is single-family. Low- and high-rise apartments comprise 45 percent, and the remaining 5 percent is row housing.
Glenwood has six schools, four parks, nine religious assemblies, and a variety of commercial spaces of differing sizes and scopes. Many of Glenwood’s businesses are located between a roadway couplet system on Stony Plain Road and 100th Avenue. More businesses are located at the nearby Mayfield Common and at West Edmonton Mall.
Glenwood’s name originates from a contest that was held to name the newly incorporated Town of Jasper Place in 1950.